Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Graveyard Shift-ers

Graveyard Shift. Very common, pretty much every business has a graveyard shift crew. They may be called something different from business to business but they all share one trait: They are some of the weirdest people you'll ever meet. You've gotta think, whoever chooses to work in the middle of the night must have at least a few screws loose. That is an understatement.

Rabine

Rabine worked 'logistics' at the office supply store. Logistics is the crew that comes in very early in the morning, around 3am, to stock the shelves. Logistics was a crew I never understood but it was completely fitting for Rabine because she was weird. She was afraid of her own shadow. She was very closed off. All the kids who worked logistics were weird but she was that kind of movie character weird. She reminded me of the very quiet Asian girl from the movie Pitch Perfect. When she did actually speak, we were all leaning in to hear her but the leaning in freaked her out even more. The only interaction I ever had with her was one that persuaded me never to speak to her again. We were passing each other in the store and I said hello to her.

Rabine: OH! OH! OH! MY GOD!! YOU SCARED ME! I DIDN'T THINK YOU WERE GOING TO TALK TO ME!

After I awkwardly laughed and ran away from the situation, it dawned upon me what she said in her breathy, terrified response. She didn't think I was going to talk to her? She thought that I was going to ignore her as we walked past one another. That must have happened to her alot. People must normally ignore her because she is weird as shit. I am now one of those people.

Colbin

Colbin also worked logistics. The difference between Colbin and the other people who worked logistics was that he was so damn sexy. Colbin had beautiful hair, a beautiful smile, a beautiful body and just looked like your all around stud. Colbin was painfully shy. Colbin didn't speak, he didn't converse with anyone. The only interaction I had with Colbin initially was when I came in to work the opening shift and he was still there stocking shelves with his bronzed muscles. I got to know Colbin later on and he thought I was a riot. He ended up being a good guy but still very shy. Almost so shy that you feel bad. I wanted him to break out of his shell and when he got some liquid courage in him to do so; I wanted him back in the shell.

Yellie

Yellie was the other guy on the logistics crew. It was a small group with very little personality. Yellie was always very closed off, he only ever seemed comfortable around his girlfriend. After getting over the shock that he had a girlfriend, I was surprised to find out who she was. She was a ball of personality; her personality is enough for both of them. I love her. She is currently one of my closest friends. Because of her I associate with Yellie but with Yellie being so quiet it is difficult to associate yourself with him. My very few instances where I've had one on one conversations with him, he was a different guy. I sometimes feel like his personality shows more when he isn't around his girlfriend. Yellie is a smart, interesting and funny guy if you have the time to chip away at the layers.

Jennifer-Lynne

Jennifer-Lynne works the night audit shift at the hotel. She is the most mysterious person I have ever met. Outside of her always being on vacation, when anyone does see her they make the joke of "You still work here?" She is never around. At least you would see the logistics crew. You never see Jennifer-Lynne. She works two days a week, she never has any notes or emergencies, and the rest of the time she is in an alternate universe. I honestly believe that she comes in to relieve the PM shift person, waits an hour, turns off all the lights, locks up the hotel and goes home. If it wasn't for the fact that there is a paper trail, my idea would be completely plausible. Even guests don't know who she is. The only way I was ever able to crack her and make her talk to me without shaking her was when I mentioned basketball. She is a huge Miami Heat fan and an even bigger Lebron James fan. With my ridiculous amount of basketball knowledge, I was able to entice her. I still think she is the weirdest girl in the world but at least I know it is possible to put a smile on her face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment