Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Co-Workers: Office Supply Store

You can love 'em or hate 'em. I've had many co-workers that I've grown great bonds with and others were just a quick association. I've also worked with a lot of people that I already knew prior to working with them through school and what not, this isn't about them; I already judged them long before I started working with them.

Adam P.

Adam worked at the copy center of the office supply store with me. He was a nice guy but he didn't care about the job. It's not that he didn't like it, he just didn't care to be there. He refused to work weekends, he refused to work holidays (he was the guy who was to relieve me on Black Friday but instead went to Tahoe) and refused to work nights and late afternoon. I was pretty surprised that he still worked there but the copy center only had 2 employees when I was hired so every person was important to have.

Ali

Ali worked on the floor of the office supply store. He was a really nice and funny guy. He was also a horn dog. Every friend I had, he hit on. He even dated one of my friends. He was a slacker at the job, he did everything half ass. He was just the typical young and dumb guy. He eventually got fired for the same thing that all young people get fired for: stealing. I see him every once in a while, we smile and make small talk but I can't consider him one of my friends from work.

Stevie B

Stevie B was Yellie's girlfriend. She is that ball of personality. As I mentioned, I love her. She's one of the best people I have ever met and I am so happy to call her one of my closest friends. I never got to experience her as a coworker as much as I wanted to. We rarely worked together and when we did it was always pretty busy. Working on the floor of the office supply store and working at the copy center was completely different. Each section didn't know anything about the other which meant that neither lane would cross. I observed Stevie while she worked (not in a creepy way but in the 'I'm bored, let's look busy' way) and she was just as good at her job as she was everything else. She was a friendly customer service employee. She worked seasonally during the summer and would come back every year. Her work ethic wasn't any different from any good employee so she wasn't any different to me from the co-worker standpoint but she is an amazing friend of mine.

Larry

I already gave a brief description of Larry in the "Alaina and Larry" post but it just wasn't enough. Larry is a self-described geek. He likes geeky things. Everything he likes is geeky. His ex girlfriends were all geeky (or really really stupid). He's just a big ass nerd, but he is a sweetheart. I remember my first time talking to him. I don't remember what the conversation was about, I just remember him coming to the copy center, asking me a random question, mentioning he had a girlfriend and then leaving. The reason I remember this is because of what I whispered to myself when he left.

Working Girl: Well that was weird as shit.

All in all he is a great, geeky guy. He was the guy that you develop a crush on but you tell ABSOLUTELY NO ONE. I didn't have a crush on Larry, I knew that me being of age would never fly with him, but he always puts a smile on my face.

Oprah

Oprah was an ex-manager. She worked alone in the back and once you got to know her, you learned to love her. I had a few ups and downs with Oprah. When she remembered that she was no longer a manager, she was cool to be around and talk to. When she reverted back to being in manager mode, she was like a parent but not your parent. Oprah's lectures were similar to those of your friends mom. She made you feel the same way you felt when your friends mom would discipline you: awkward, angry and just generally annoyed. There were times when she questioned my work ethic, which pissed me off but then there were times when she shared my same opinions which I loved. All around she is a very nice older woman who you have to really learn to love. The constant memory I have of Oprah was what she said to me when I was given my walkie-talkie for the first time.

Oprah: Ooooh! That's your voice? It sounds sexy girl! You should be one of those phone sex operators. Quit this job immediately.

Corey

Corey worked the floor and she was just as good at her job as Stevie. There was nothing spectacular about her as a co-worker but there were some pretty spectacular things about her as a friend. She is really sweet but so was everyone at the store for the most part what set Corey aside was that anything would make her laugh. I enjoy making people laugh but I really enjoyed making Corey laugh. She had that real laugh with a giggle, snort and tears. I used to just look at her to make her laugh. My favorite thing to do was judge the customer that was in front of her through the walkie talkie. She tried so hard to not laugh in their face but I always had a killer line for her in which she just could not hold it in anymore.

Leasha

Leasha and I worked together at the store I transferred to. She worked at the copy center and therefore she and I always understood each other's gripes. She made me laugh always but based on her descriptions of the other employees in the store. There was a young guy who worked there and he drove a little Lexus that he tricked out and had the Lexus symbol painted all over the car in different colors. It was ghetto and Leasha made it a point to tell me how ghetto it was on a daily basis. Because of his car she would jump to conclusions about his life and though none of it was true it was still hilarious. I love to make people laugh so when something or someone actually makes me laugh they will forever be memorable to me.

I realized, as I was writing this, that I really did enjoy 98% of the people that I worked with at the office supply store. They were all good people, they just enjoyed having gross sex with one another and sometimes being really dramatic. I formed a lot of friendships and bonds with those people and the people I listed here were all memorable in some way. There were definitely more people who worked there but they just weren't interesting enough to talk about. The interesting Co-Workers and the hatred came from the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment