Sunday, December 2, 2012

Tani Gold

I got a second job at a hotel when I was 20 years old. It was completely different from working the copy center of on office supply store. The customers were still the same amount of stupid but my coworkers had gotten much smarter.

My first day of training was with Tani Gold. Upon the initial meeting with her she seemed like a nice person which almost instantly changed. I have plenty of stories about Tani Gold but this story is all about my first day with her.

Tani Gold: Hi, I'm Tani. I'm the manager. You can't use this to get on myspace.

She was referring to the computer behind the front desk in which the employees were allowed to use during their downtime.

Working Girl: Myspace? Who still uses myspace?
Tani Gold: I DO! I ACTUALLY THINK IT'S STILL REALLY COOL!
Working Girl: Okay.
Tani Gold: Have you ever worked in a hotel before?
Working Girl: No, just my current job at the office supply store
Tani Gold: Oh you have 2 jobs too? So do I. I'm the manager here and the manager at my retail store job. It's so nice that you have second job. I think it shows everyone that black women really can rise up from being oppressed and make something of themselves.
Working Girl: Yeah, uh, strength.... So what do we do here?
Tani Gold: Our job is very important and we have to make sure that every guest is enjoying their stay and--

From the corner of her eye Tani sees a man coming from the breakfast area where the hotel would hold a daily free breakfast for the guests. His clothes were dirty, he looked unkempt and just all around down on his luck.

Tani (whispering): Because we have free breakfast a lot of homeless people try to come in and eat for free. You have to make sure they don't do that. Um, Sir (no longer whispering) What is your room number?
Guest: Me?
Tani: Yes, you.

The guest then pulls out what looks like a room key from the pocket of his paint stained pants. Looks at it.

Guest: Room 304
Tani: Can I see your key please sir?

The guest hands Tani his key. She verifies the room number using the key machine and hands it back to him.

Tani: Okay, thank you. Enjoy your stay sir.

The guest walks away with a look of confusion

Tani: Well I'm glad he isn't homeless but why does he look like that?

The rest of my training with Tani was basic hotel procedures but within the 5 hours of training I had with Tani I watched her accuse a guest of not being one, take a 35 minute long bathroom break so that she could put a new weave in her head and eat the free breakfast.

Tani and I never had a good work relationship, especially after I found out that she lied to me about being the manager, and later down the line it all came to a head.

2 comments:

  1. Well when I worked there the GM that hired me was going to be gone for a week and he went to each FD agent and told us we were the MODs for the week. Basically don’t call him and deal with guests’ shit ourselves. BUT WOW OH WOW did “Tani” take this to heart! She was so serious about her role—she was 10X more unbearable than ever before! She went so far to put “Manager On Duty” on her name tag and her name under the MOD placard on the wall… She actually typed up her name and MOD and taped it up on the wall and her name badge! She proudly displayed it to me when I walked in… Then she barked at me about the housekeeping staff and I was to inspect each and every room that the housekeepers cleaned and they had to be “immaculate” –Yes IMMACULATE. You ask why I remember this single word? Because never in my life has anyone used “immaculate” in a paragraph 20X. It was though we were in grammar school and Tani had just learned a new word!! “If these rooms are not “immaculate” I mean, spotless, clean and tidy NOT A SPECK OF DUST—YOU are not to let the housekeepers leave! I mean it--immaculate!! I’ll come back later tonight and make sure these rooms are IMMACULATE!!” She told me she would see to it I would get fired if I didn’t make sure the rooms were “IMMACULATE!” So later that night the GM called and we laughed and laughed and laughed— Oh and then around 8PM our dear little hourly employee Miss Gold who was off the clock stopped by to check the rooms and she asked me if I checked the “immaculate” rooms and I told “Nope, but I defiantly passed that along to the head of housekeeping.” She was pissed that I disregarded her commands. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tati is a dumb low self esteem having hater

    ReplyDelete