Friday, December 21, 2012

Mr. Budweiser

Mr. Budweiser became the store manager of the office supply store about 6 months into me working there. He was an asshole. He made it a point to have a sit down meeting with all of the current employees so that he could "get to know them." The meeting he had with me was one of the last meetings of all the staff and we didn't see eye to eye from initial contact. He didn't like my devotion to the old store manager and my devotion to the copy center nor did he like my lack of devotion to the rest of store.

We never liked each other. We never got along. This was made aware from our many run ins.

Asshole

One morning before the store opened I was talking to a few of the managers outside of the store about Mr. Budweiser. The general consensus was that no one liked him. The new people he hired were also there outside of the store but they were not being spoken to or even acknowledged.

When Mr. Budweiser found out about the conversation, I was pulled into his office.

Mr. Budweiser: I am aware of the things you said about me and I find them unprofessional and rude.
Working Girl: You mean the conversation I had with 2 other managers not during work hours where I called you an asshole?
Mr. Budweiser: You shouldn't speak that way in front of new hires and customers
Working Girl: Apparently you weren't made aware of the situation then. We were outside the store, before it opened, no customers around and no one was even speaking to the new hires. Also, I'm an adult, if I want to curse amongst other adults; I'm going to curse amongst other adults. Are we done here?
Mr. Budweiser: Yes.

Giving it Away for Free

One day during a shift I had a headache; I had stomach pains and was all around having a bad day. Then the manager of another store in the mall came in to pick up his copies. I went to ring him up and apparently didn't charge him enough. This was not my fault. Our scanning gun had been dying for the last few weeks and though I pointed at color copies, it scanned black and white copies which are cheaper than color. I rang him up anyway, not noticing.

The store manager from the other store called Mr. Budweiser and let him know about the mistake. I was again pulled into the office.

Mr. Budweiser: I was basically told that you're giving away free copies by charging less than their actual price.
Working Girl: Well I'm sorry I didn't notice the price difference; it was an honest mistake that started with our dying scanner gun.
Mr. Budweiser: This puts me in a position where I have to watch you to make sure you're not stealing
Working Girl: How is that stealing when it doesn't benefit me?
Mr. Budweiser: I find it hard to believe that it was just a mistake. So I'm going to need a written statement from you explaining what happened and an apology.

I went back over to the copy station, got a piece of paper and wrote: "I ACCIDENTALLY CHARGED THAT GUY LESS BECAUSE THE SCANNER GUN IS DYING AND HAS BEEN DYING FOR WEEKS. THAT IS ALL THAT HAPPENED"

HR

Pretty much every company has an HR department so I won't go into explaining who they are or what they do. I met with them in Mr. Budweiser's office.

HR Bitch: It was made aware to us by the store manager that the computer in the copy station was accessed for things other than store related websites; more specifically the Cal State website. [Cal State was my college]
Working Girl: Uh-Huh...
HR Bitch: You know that is forbidden and the computer should only be used for store related things.
Working Girl: That I do know.
HR Bitch: Then why would you access that site?
Working Girl: I didn't.
HR Bitch: What?
Working Girl: There are 3 people who work at the copy station who just so happen to go to college with me. I didn't access my school's website.
HR Bitch: We have a list of classes that were searched. Spanish and Nursing classes to be specific.
Working Girl: Well since I'm a Journalism major I have no need for Spanish or Nursing classes. Nor have I ever taken a Nursing or Spanish class in college.
HR Bitch: So those aren't your classes?
Working Girl: No, but I can go get the Nursing major who works with me for you.
HR Bitch: That's not necessary.
Working Girl: Then I guess we're done here.

Father's Day Fiasco

This was my last encounter with Mr. Budweiser. I had already decided to switch stores to go work with my old store manager, something that I had the pleasure of letting him know during this last meeting.

I was called into the office once again because I didn't go to the store meeting that was held at 8pm on Father's Day. I had told every store manager weeks before how excited I was for my uncles, who lived out of state, to come back for a father's day dinner. After I told the managers, Mr. Budweiser decided to hold a meeting on Father's Day evening.

Mr. Budweiser: You didn't show up to the meeting.
Working Girl: No I didn't.
Mr. Budweiser: You also didn't tell me.
Working Girl: Due to the fact that you have cut my hours down from 40 to 10 per week, I do not see you. I left a note under your office door and I let the 4 other managers know that I would not make the meeting.
Mr. Budweiser: They aren't managers. They are supervisors.
Working Girl: So Chen, the Operation's Manager, isn't a manager?
Mr. Budweiser: I am the store manager. I've gotten to a point of where I don't know how I can discipline you for this.
Working Girl: You don't have to worry about that, I'm switching stores. It's already been approved by the store manager. He is waiting for you to sign the papers. Give him a call and he'll fax them over.
Mr. Budweiser: I doubt that but I will call him.

He called him. He was embarrassed because I was right.


That was last time I spoke to Mr. Budweiser. He still, to this day hates to see me in the store because it reminds him of the fact that he never got to fire me. I now make more money at my job than he does AND I found out yesterday that as of December 30th 2012, he will no longer be the store manager...nor will he be working there.

Karma is a bitch...and so is Mr. Budweiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment