Sunday, December 23, 2012

GAY

I am all about GAY! The more "GAY" it is, the happier I am. I haven't had too many run-ins with gay people in my personal life outside of work. Here are two of the most interesting stories from working at the hotel where I've dealt with gay people.

Anniversary

Early on in one of my Saturday evening shifts, I checked in a lesbian couple who had requested a romance package. A romance package includes wine, chocolates, and a room with a Jacuzzi tub. They checked in and went to their room. It was the last I saw of them.

Later on in the evening, a few of my male friends came to visit me and bring me dinner. One of them was my friend Petey. Petey never really had much luck with the ladies and was complaining to us about the fact. So my other friends and I decided to be proactive and find Petey a lady. So we got on Craigslist. We searched all the women seeking men ads posted in the last week. None were interesting to Petey (but it didn't help that he was completely against the idea). I decided that if Petey couldn't get a girlfriend, maybe he could have one wild night. So I wandered into women seeking women because maybe a lesbian couple was looking for one night of mediocrity with Petey. The first listing that popped up was titled "JOIN US IN OUR HOTEL SUITE." I clicked it.

Listing: "HEY! WE ARE TWO HOT LESBIANS AND IT IS OUR ANNIVERSARY. WE ARE LOOKING TO HAVE SOME FUN TONIGHT WITH ANOTHER HOT LESBIAN. WE HAVE RENTED A HOTEL SUITE WITH A ROMANCE PACKAGE, WE'VE GOT WINE, CANDY AND A JACUZZI TUB. COME PARTY WITH US
(510)***-****"

Those were my lesbians! Well, not MY lesbians, but those were the lesbians that I had checked in just a few hours ago. I was surprised AND intrigued. My friends begged me to go knock on their hotel room door and ask to join in but my friends are idiots.

I should never be surprised by the freaky people who stay at the hotel but that one made me drop my jaw.

Love

This story isn't funny, that's not why I'm writing about it. I'm writing about it because I thought it was beautiful. These guests brought a tear to my eye.

I live in Northern California in the San Francisco Bay Area. If there is anything that SF is known for, it is the gay population in that city. San Francisco is home to one of the biggest and best Gay Pride Parades in the country. I had a couple staying at the hotel for the occasion.

They were a much older couple, probably in their 60's. One man stood down at the front desk with me for over an hour telling me their story. Their story is too long to tell now and quite frankly I can't remember it all because I was too focused on wiping the tears of joy from my eyes at the time but the gist was this:

They had been partners for 20 years and some change. They loved each other unconditionally. Both of them had some health problems throughout the years but the man speaking to me had the worst half of them. He was basically obese and had all the problems that anyone that big would and could have plus bouts with cancer. His partner stuck with him through everything. They adopted a family and made a home together. They came to the pride parade with their adopted son who, they figured, was gay but didn't know how to say it. Due to the fact that they both went through the same feelings that they assumed he was having, they brought him to San Francisco. They wanted to show him that not only was it okay to love another person of the same sex, but people all around the world celebrate that love. There are people who are proud to be who they are and love who they want to love. They told me his eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas when he saw the parade.

The entire story warmed my heart because I don't think that it's okay for people to be ashamed of who they are and who they love. I believe that everyone should have the same rights. I am so happy that their story was shared with me which is why I will continue to remember it and share it with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment