Tuesday, March 12, 2013

You Can Look but Don't Touch

This post isn't too long because it surrounds one central theme: touching. Not touching in a sexual way, or even a sensual way, the kind of touching that makes you slightly cock your head to right, squint your eyes and scrunch up your nose. You're confused, I'm confused and the entire situation is awkward because you don't know how to leave shit alone.

I've talked about the "adults" that stay at the hotel and the fact that their thinking is ass backwards but this is when it just gets out of hand. I've had this scenario happen one too many times:

I'm standing at the front desk engaged in a conversation with another guest or a front desk agent, and then a guest who just uses the lobby bathroom comes up to me.

Toucher: I found this in the bathroom. I don't know what it is but here you go.
Working Girl: Thanks but it's a door stop.
Toucher: Oh. I didn't know.

Then the toucher walks away.

Here are my problems with this (in list form):

1. Why are you touching anything on the floor of a public bathroom?
2. What else would it be? It looks like a door stop, there aren't any missing parts to the toilet and sink in the bathroom so what else could it possibly be?
3. Did you think you were being helpful by putting something in my bare hands from your bare hands that you picked up on the floor of a public bathroom?
4. Since you now know what it is, GO PUT IT BACK!
5. Don't do that shit anymore.

I understand that there was some good in that task, they were trying to be helpful. It could've been something another guest lost, or a safety concern. But that's gross. Didn't your parents ever tell you not to pick up things off the ground? Let alone in a public bathroom. I don't even touch the toilet handle in a public bathroom with my hands. Was it necessary to bring it to me? Why couldn't you just bring it to my attention? There are so many questions and no logical answers.

I can count how many times this has happened on both hands and feet. Maybe the doorstop doesn't look like a door stop (even though it 100% does) but there is still no need to touch it. It makes me wonder what else I could plant in that bathroom just to see if they would touch it. A dirty needle perhaps? An Easter egg? The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment