Thursday, February 14, 2013

Yearbook

When I was in high school I was on the yearbook staff. This wasn't paid work but the fact that we had to make our shitty high school look at least decent was definitely hard work.  Yearbook was actually the only class I truly enjoyed during my senior year. I got to design pages, write stories and hang out with people who I never really got the chance to hang out with before.

The people on the yearbook staff were characters themselves, it was almost like a comedy club, everyday we would all leave with tears in our eyes. I hung out with a core group of hilarious people and what made us all so funny was our ability to shit talk.

If you haven't learned, I'm a fan of shit talking. I don't bully people but shit talking is a blast, that is what we did. There was one day that was more memorable than the rest: Baby Photo Day.

The creators of the Baby Photo page were Necia, Ralph and Serena and they were the ones who gathered the baby pictures of the participating seniors and created the layout for that specific page. They also happened to be some of the funniest people in the class. The three of them and a handful of the rest of us took a look at our classmates precious baby photos.

The photo of our classmate alone in a park holding a single balloon...

Banana: Sup with Egore's balloon? Is no one going to ask why this is happening? Why is he alone in a park? I'm confused

The black and white, crumpled photo of a classmate...

Necia: What kind of concentration camp photo is this?

The photo of one of our classmates in a half shirt...

Ralph: See, she was a Ho back then.

The blurry photo of another female classmate...

Zeus: I think that sign back there says "Welcome to America."

The photo of a girl in our class who looked exactly like she did at 17 as she did at 5...

Serena: Was that photo taken yesterday? This is not a baby picture.

Then I brought out a photo given to me by a friend of mine for a classmate of hers.

Working Girl: Oh! I almost forgot, someone gave me this photo to add to the baby pics.
Necia: Who is this?
Working Girl: I have no idea. Her name is on the back.
Necia: Jan...Jan who?
Working Girl (laughing): Necia I have no idea. The picture was given to me by someone who knows this girl. I can only assume she goes to this school.
Necia: She don't go here. Nope! Not happening, she will not be in this yearbook.

We had plenty of hilarious days in yearbook and plenty of hilarious quotes. Being on that staff only reinforced the idea that I wanted to be a writer. I figured that if being on a staff of creative people can be half as much fun as our yearbook staff. I would forever love my job.

Special thanks to Necia, Ralph, Serena, Star Jones, Banana, Zeus, F-Cup and everyone else on the yearbook staff for being just as mean and hilarious as I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment