Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Celebrity "Encounters"

Having run-ins with celebrities was never expected from any of my jobs. It's pretty cool when it happens because it doesn't happen very often. At the end of the day we had to remember that we live in the Bay Area in which there are major sports teams, concert venues and a major tourist city so you are bound to run into a few people who have had their name in lights.

Something else that I've realized is that though they are technically famous, they have to run errands like everyone else which means they have to leave their house. I personally wish that I had more run ins with athletes because not only do I love sports but it would make a lot of sense. The Oakland Raiders and the Golden State Warriors opponents often stay in hotels in San Francisco and many of the players live there as well which is absolutely illogical. The Oakland Raiders practice facility is not in San Francisco, the Golden State Warriors practice facility is not in San Francisco and there is constant traffic going to and from San Francisco. Why put yourself through that? Why make a 30 minute trek when you can make a 10 minute one? I never understand it. I know teams fly into San Francisco Airport but staying in SF is more out of the way then all the places they need to be at during their time in the Bay Area.

Either way, one would think that I have seen plenty of famous people because I live in the Bay Area which is just not the case. The fact that I haven't gotten to rub elbows with the rich and famous on a consistent basis, it makes these stories even more memorable.

Potential Football Player/ Potential Husband

When I worked at the office supply store a guy would come in to get prints. He was tall, muscular and extremely good looking. He was a really nice, normal guy who could've taken up modeling as opposed to football. He was going through training camp for the Oakland Raiders. He came into the store a lot and every single time I stopped in my tracks. I know he never got to play for the Raiders (due to being cut just before the season started) but I acted like he was a 10 year veteran. It was really cool to be around someone who was so close to being on my favorite football team. He wasn't truly a celebrity but the way my eyes turned into hearts, similar to that of a cartoon character, you would've thought his posters were plastered on my bedroom walls.

Hip-Hop Legend

A rapper came into the hotel and booked a room. The entire time I'm thinking "Is that?... It looks like... But it can't be... Maybe I'm... Wouldn't his ID?" Apparently during that time I thought that your rap name had to be on your drivers license. He went to the room and shortly after came his wife.

Working Girl: Excuse me, um is that [Hip-Hop Legend]
Wife:  Larry? Yes. That is. He's my husband. Are you a fan?
Working Girl: Who isn't? Wow. That's really cool.
Wife: I'll be right back.

Then she goes to the car and brings me his newest CD.

Wife: If you're here when we get back I'll make sure to have him sign it for you.

They left soon after that because he had a show in Oakland and they were headed to sound check. For the first time I was unhappy to leave work. I never got the autograph but I do have the CD. I was actually able to not only check in a Hip-Hop Legend but I got to talk to him, meet his wife and I got a little gift. It was a cool day.

Mr. Football and his personal cheerleader

This happened very recently. My friend/front desk agent, Banana, text me and told me that a football player had checked into the hotel; one from our favorite team and we immediately started freaking out. This was our text conversation:

Banana: So Oakland Raiders [Wide Receiver] just checked in. Kinda cool. I'm not all celebrity struck but he's a RAIDER!
Working Girl: That's weird! Copy that reg card!! Did you tell him you're a Raider fan? GET US SOME TICKETS!
Banana: He seemed super chill. I should've just been like 'I love you! You're awesome' but I was trying so hard to play it cool...I was soooo blushing.
Working Girl: Hahahaha! Own that shit! Chat him up when he comes out.
Banana: Hahahahahaha! He hella just walked right out...I'm like waiting for him to come back but I think he might have just paid for the room because once he left some female walked in that I haven't seen yet.
Working Girl: Dammmmmmmit! His mistress!!!!

That's when it dawned on us that Mr. Football was no different than any of our other guests who are here to house their hos. He just had a more famous name. But maybe that wasn't the case at all. Maybe he saw a homeless woman and thought to put her in a hotel for the night and... who am I kidding?

Time To Go

This is one of my favorite stories. One Saturday I was working and really early on into my shift a very handsome guy comes up to me.

Handsome Face: Hello
Working Girl: Hey There.
Handsome Face: Do y'all have any rooms?
Working Girl: Sure. One bed or two.
Handsome Face: Two. It's for these tattoo artists from Atlanta.
Working Girl: That's cool.
Handsome Face: You know Golden State Warriors [Shooting Guard].
Working Girl: Yeah.
Handsome Face: Well he's real tatted up, right? When he played in Atlanta he really liked this tattoo artist so he flies him in whenever he needs a new tattoo. I'm his cousin/assistant.

I had to pause. This guy was "shooting guard"s cousin. He is one of the ugliest players in the league and this beautiful looking man claims that they are related, I was more interested in that than the actual player.

I give the guy the room keys and he left. A few hours later the tattoo artist and his assistant come in. They go upstairs and come back down shortly afterwards.

Artist: So I'm here to tattoo [Shooting Guard]
Working Girl: So I've heard.
Artist: Yeah, I tattoo a lot of celebrities.
Working Girl: I bet.
Artist: Ballers, Rappers, anyone you can think of with a tattoo probably has one of my pieces on them.
Working Girl: Cool Beans.

After seeing how unimpressed an uninterested I was, they went back up to their room. Then an all black Range Rover pulls up and a very tall and very large man gets out. He walks up to the front desk and with the deepest voice I've ever heard he says "It's time to go."

Working Girl: What? It's time to go? Am I going too? I can go, that's not a problem, I just have to call some people first. Do I have enough time to get my stuff? I don't really need ALL of it but I think my wallet and cell phone should come in handy. Unless you're paying I don't really need to get my wallet but I can for like cab fare home or something. Should I change clothes? Is my uniform okay or are we going to stop at Target or something. I'm cool if you're cool but I do need a heads up...

His dead stare and my awkward rambling stopped when the tattoo artist and his assistant came out of the elevator with their equipment and said to me "I guess it's time to go."

They walked out and I watched them all get into the Range Rover. The back tinted window was down a bit when I saw shooting guard. We locked eyes and he gave me a "what's up" head nod then the car peeled away. The whole situation was so unnecessarily 'Hollywood' that not only was I confused but I was also willing to hop in a car with complete strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment