Thursday, January 9, 2014

Missed Opportunities

This post has nothing to do with the Office Supply store or the hotel. This is specific to my dream career: Writer.

I've always wanted to be a writer. When I was five years old that is what I wanted to do. Nothing has changed (except for the fact that when I was five I wanted to be a writer and the Yellow Power Ranger at the same time). Throughout high school and college I worked on the yearbook and the newspaper because I thought it would put me in that world of a professional writer. Going to the editing room, playing with a layout, and writing features was and is my dream. I didn't realize that being a part of my high school's yearbook staff would just be us playing '10 Fingers' most of the time and realizing how.. um... adventurous my classmates truly were. Either way, my goal hasn't changed. I worked hard for my journalism degree and want nothing more than to write... about anything... for anyone.

Yesterday my employee found a video of someone swallowing food under an x-ray and she thought it was cool. I mentioned to her that author Tucker Max had a similar video on his website but the thing that was being swallowed was a little more adult than what she was watching. I showed her the 24 second video which is posted on his website and I continued to explore, what once was, my favorite online blog/website. I came across his new blog site and explored more. The first few posts were about his search for a research assistant. I read about that when he publicly mentioned it and basically invited anyone and everyone to apply. I remember being so excited about it and thinking to myself "Hey, I could do that!"

For whatever stupid reason, I didn't apply right then and there like I should have. I contemplated and waited. I finally realized that I shouldn't wait anymore and just give it a shot. The first round instructions were simple enough to where I know I would at least make it past that. When I went to look over the instructions one more time I found that due to all of the entries he had to close it early and wasn't accepting any more applications. Heartbroken.

It was my own stupid fault for not doing it the second I heard about it knowing that I would actually be really great at it. What stings even more is that on his blog he went over each round and why people were eliminated and I honestly believe I could've made it to the final round.

He had mentioned in his post that people claimed they wanted this job in order to help them become a writer but then they didn't have any examples of any of their writing because they don't write. All I do is write. Even when I'm not posting on my blog, I am writing. I write for work and, like the huge nerd I am, I write for fun. I research information about something and piece together my own article about the subject. I actually find that fun.

During the final round he asked the applicants to complete a research report on Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. SERIOUSLY!? I am such a fan of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. I wouldn't have even had to do that much research, I of course would have for fact checking purposes, but I wouldn't have to go that in depth. I do this weird thing where if I watch something I normally use the Wikipanion app on my phone and Wiki all of the actors, then I go online and fact check what I found on Wiki. I DO THIS ALL THE TIME! Sometimes multiple times on the same person. Athletes, actors, singers, WHOEVER! I have watched more than half of The Rock's movies so that means I have Wiki'd and fact checked him OVER 15 TIMES. I am an idiot.

Not only could I have possibly gotten a paid job doing something I already do for free, I could've worked with Tucker Max. The man whose books I've read cover to cover multiple times, the guy whose blog and website I frequented years ago, and the author who was a large inspiration for my blog. He originally started his website for his friends so they could read his hilarious stories. I started my blog for much of the same reasons. Not only do I love to write, the stuff that happens to me at work is so ridiculous that my friends have told me they enjoy hearing my stories. I thought why not write them down and give all of my friends the opportunity to read all of my weird work stories.

I missed quite the opportunity to do something I would've given my whole heart to and because of this realization I can no longer wait for the things I want to fall into my lap. I've been very lucky to get the jobs I've gotten but I need to grab the bull by the balls and tell him to turn his head and cough because I need to do something about being paid to write. Hopefully there will be no more missed opportunities for me (or for you).

No comments:

Post a Comment