Thursday, February 13, 2014

You're On The Radio

One Saturday night I was working the Front Desk at the hotel and I got a phone call.

*Ring Ring*
Working Girl: Good Evening, thank you for calling [Hotel Name]. Working Girl speaking, how may I help you?
Caller: CONGRATULATIONS! You are on the radio.
Working Girl: Um...hello?
Caller: This is 106.1 and you are currently live on the radio. Are you ready to play a game?
Working Girl: Um I'm at work.
Caller: Exactly. We are calling people at work and we are asking them to participate in a contest in order to win a $100 Applebee's gift card. There are 3 parts to this contest, are you ready to play?
Working Girl: Yes

*Side Note: I knew this wasn't real. The radio DJs sounded between the ages of 13 and 15 and they were giggling in the background. It was a slow Saturday night and I had about an hour and a half till I got off work. I thought to myself "why not see how far they'll take this prank call?"

Caller: Okay. So first part we give you situations. Tell us what you would do in these situations. First situation: Something you love, a pair of shoes, gets thrown away and you see them get tossed into the dumpster. Do you go into the dumpster to get your favorite pair of shoes?
Working Girl: No.
Caller: Uh...um...why not?
Working Girl: I'm not really into shoes.
Caller: Well what about slippers?
Working Girl: Not a big fan of slippers either.
Caller: Socks. What about socks?
Working Girl: No. Not into socks. I like my bare feet and I can always just buy a new pair if anything like that gets thrown away.
Caller: What will it take to get you in that dumpster?
Working Girl: Nothing I can think of off the top of my head.
Caller: *sigh* OKAY! Next situation: If you had to live in one of your slippers, which slipper would it be? Describe the slipper.
Working Girl: I don't have any slippers.
Caller: None at all?
Working Girl: None at all.
Caller: Situation 3: If you had a pizza and you had 16 friends, would you cut up the pizza into 16ths and then everyone would have a slice or would you not give certain friends a slice because you don't like them as much?
Working Girl: Cut it up to feed everyone.
Caller: Okay, great answer.

The second part of this "contest" was me having to finish the title of famous songs, lullabies, or fables like: Mary had a little ________? (Lamb, the answer is lamb)

The third, and final, part was a Name That Tune game. There was only one song I had to guess to get the Applebee's gift card. Now by this time I assumed that they thought I would've hung up a long time ago. And any normal, sane person would've; But I was bored at work and this had already been going on for a good hour and some change without being interrupted by any guests or phone calls. What else would I be doing if it wasn't for that call? So I made the most of it.

Caller: We're going to play the melody of a song and you have to guess what it is. It won't be actual music but you have to guess from what we give you. The hint is "Christmas."

Then the guy on the phone takes the receiver and bangs it on a desk to the tune of Jingle Bells.

BOOM BOOM BOOM!
BOOM BOOM BOOM!
BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!
BOOM BOOM BOOM BA-BOOM BOOM BOOM!
BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!
BOOM!

Caller: What's that tune?
Working Girl: Jingle Bells.
Caller: CORRECT! CONGRATULATIONS YOU JUST WON AN APPLEBEE'S GIFT CARD!
*click*

He then hung up. I laughed so hard. I bet he and his friends didn't expect to have to commit to someone as crazy as I am and someone who would continue going on with their charade.

Jokes on them for wasting an hour and a half,  technically, I got paid to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment