Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Parties

Every year at the hotel we have a Christmas Party. When I first started working here I was really surprised. At the office supply store we did no such thing and we were a family. We all genuinely enjoyed each other's company. The hotel on the other hand? Hated each other. All of front desk hated Tani and one of the Housekeepers, Mari, hated the rest of housekeeping. Even though there was obvious tension there, we all, surprisingly enough, had a great time at the Christmas party.

2009

This was the year of my first ever Christmas Party. Every year we bring food, a gift for our Secret Santa and our families. It just so happened that my Secret Santa needed a ride to the party. I tried to play it off like the gift wasn't for her. She believed me.

When we got to the party we found my boss who gets really excited about Christmas time though he and his family don't celebrate it. He was waving everyone in and hugging us, which was terrifying at first, but we couldn't deny there was something magical about Christmas time that would even put a smile on the biggest Grinch's face...or so we thought.

It turns out that Mari did not want to be apart of the Secret Santa so she didn't come to the party. Tani did not come to the party because she claimed she had more important things to do but she did stop by and drop off food but no Secret Santa Gift.

The party was fine and everyone had a good time but unfortunately the person that Tani chose didn't get to open up his Secret Santa gift with the rest of us...or ever because she never bought a gift for him. He didn't seem to care much especially because he knew that even if he did get something he probably wouldn't have enjoyed it.

2010

The 2010 Christmas Party was the same as the last year's. Pretty much the same food, same people, and same set up. Mari had quit her job by then so all of the housekeepers were present and accounted for. Tani still didn't show up but her sister, who apparently worked at the hotel years prior, showed up and she was surprisingly pleasant.

This was the first year that Sandy gave away an Employee of the Year award. I, being conceited and hilarious, knew it was me. It wasn't. It went to the most deserving person, the housekeeping manager who has worked at the hotel since the opening year.

2011

This year brought some change. There were a few new staff members in both housekeeping and the front desk. This was also the first party with a new manager. Condii and her husband, who if it wasn't for Condii would've been extremely uncomfortable, came to the party. Everyone had a great time and it was the most fun I had at a Christmas party at the hotel. I had gotten the perfect Secret Santa gift (a gift card to Subway) and the recipient of the Employee of the Year award cried when she received it.

2012

This was my first ever Christmas party as the Manager. I was nervous about it. In the past Sandy and Condii always gave speeches thanking everyone for their hard work through out the year. I am the manager who thanks you when you do something good. I don't wait to generalize it all at the end of the year, I feel a good job should be acknowledged right then and there. So it's safe to say that I didn't give a speech. But I did let the staff know how much I appreciated them working with me as the manager. My promotion was the first in the history of the hotel that any employee was promoted and I was still one of the employees with the least amount of years under her belt. I didn't know if the staff would hate me or embrace me. They embraced me and I love them for it.

2013

A little over a week ago was the most recent Christmas party. There had been no staff changes since the last Christmas party and because we are all closer now than we ever were, all of the Secret Santa gifts were perfect. There was almost no food left over which had never happened before and Sandy bought a 24 pack of beer.

Every Christmas party is short, sweet and uneventful. I wouldn't change a thing. Everyone is laughing and having a great time which is a reflection of what we do all year long. Everyday we laugh and have a great time but the Christmas party has the added bonus of no asshole guests.

"Merry Christmas, Everyone!" -  Tiny Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment