Friday, June 21, 2013

GAY: Update

One of my first blog posts was titled GAY. If you haven't read it, I would suggest you read it now otherwise you just won't understand this post.

In the previous post I spoke about a couple that literally brought tears to my eyes. They were an older couple who had brought their adopted, closeted, son to the Bay Area to show him the San Francisco Pride Parade. I spoke to one of the men for hours about his life with his partner and I was not only touched that he was willing to share his story with me but I was touched by the story itself.

Ten days ago I was speaking to an employee when the elevator doors opened. Around the corner comes the man who had shared his story with me a few years ago. I lit up. I was so excited to see him and I wanted him to remember me so badly because I had hoped that my time with him meant as much to him as it did to me.

Mr. Groom: You're still working here!?

He remembered me. I was delighted

Working Girl: Yeah, I refused to leave until I got to see you again.

I walked around from the front desk to give him a hug. We started right where we had left off. We talked about life, love and everything in between.

Mr. Groom: You're not still having to deal with that loser ex boyfriend of yours are you?
Working Girl: Not directly, but I am working on a restraining order against him.
Mr. Groom: Good!
Working Girl: How's the family?
Mr. Groom: Everyone's good. The kids are good. We're actually in town to see our granddaughter graduate from high school.
Working Girl: Really? How long will you be with us?
Mr. Groom: Ten Days....you know we tell everyone we know to stay here and I personally am very happy to see you.
Working Girl: Thank You! Yeah, they made me the manager so I'm stuck. But I'm trying to get a writing job so that I can finally leave.
Mr. Groom: Manager! So no more late night hours?
Working Girl: I avoid them the best I can.

Through this conversation I learned that his partner had gotten really sick and was confined to a wheelchair being diagnosed with a form of Polio. Surprisingly enough they found an amazing doctor who, though he isn't cured, has helped him to walk again and now he relies on a cane but he doesn't need a wheelchair. We also talked about his weight loss (thanks in large part to him becoming his partner's caregiver) and the travelling they've done in recent years so that he and his partner can truly live a full life. They even went to the Grand Canyon with his partner in a wheelchair. They are refusing to let their different bouts of illnesses get in the way of the things they've always wanted to do.

I met another son of theirs and the son that they brought the first time was also along for this trip. Each one of them remembered me and I shared a special moment with everyone in the family.

Over the past 10 days I've gotten to spend more time with Mr. Groom and his partner, once again just having my heart filled with love. It's a nice break between dumbass guest to dumbass guest. I really have enjoyed them being at the hotel and I hope that another few years don't go by until I see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment