Friday, May 17, 2013

That Dumbass McDonald's Commercial

There is a fairly new McDonald's commercial in which a guest staying at a hotel calls down to the concierge in the morning and asks for McDonald's coffee. When the concierge is trying to explain that a five star hotel doesn't serve McDonald's coffee, the guest says "Well the front desk said 'anything we can do to make your morning better.'"

*sigh* My issue with this commercial is that PEOPLE REALLY DO EXPECT THIS TREATMENT. They expect the person at the front desk to bend over backwards for them and they don't even say thank you because they honestly think it is expected. I have a few stories about the guests like the douche in the McDonald's commercial.

Extra Romance

I was working one afternoon and I got a phone call from a girl who booked a romance package for her and her husband's wedding anniversary.

Extra: Hey I booked a romance package for tonight. My name is [NAME]. I had a question about it.
Working Girl: Yes?
Extra: Can I get a dozen red rose petals on the floor that lead onto the bed and another dozen in a vase on the table.
Working Girl: Are you going to bring that stuff for us to do that?
Extra: No, you guys don't have that?
Working Girl: We're mostly a business hotel, we don't get a lot of requests for that so no, we don't just keep bouquets of roses around.
Extra: Oh, that's weird.

I don't block people from getting any but I definitely don't help you get any. I don't want to have any hand in the story that housekeeping will tell about you tomorrow. I can only imagine one of the housekeepers coming down and saying "I just spent a half an hour cleaning up rose petals and semen."

The Rider

Just in case you're unaware, a rider is a list of celebrity demands. It's the shit that Adele needs to sing like an angel, that the Backstreet Boys need to be amazing and what Kanye needs to be able ramble about absolutely nothing. Apparently it's also the thing that cheap guests need in order to spend less than 12 hours in a hotel.

This happened just the other day, my front desk agent, Tooch, answered the phone to what started off as a normal conversation with a guest, then it turned Hollywood rather quickly.

Rider: Oh my god I'm not gonna be able to check in till like 6pm.
Tooch: That's okay. Check in time is 3pm but you don't HAVE TO check in at that time.
Rider: Okay good. I'm so tired. Can I get a bottle of San Pellegrino and Coconut Water in my room?
Tooch: You can have someone you know bring you a bottle of San Pellegrino and Coconut Water and leave it at the front desk for you. We can give it to you when you check in.
Rider: Oh my god, really? So you don't do that.
Tooch: We wouldn't even have a way to do that.

The best part about this is that she copped an attitude about it. Does that normally happen whenever you stay somewhere other than your house? Do the dudes who you go home with at the end of the night just keep bottles of disgusting mineral water around for you? No? Then don't expect us to.

My issue with this is that these people think it's normal to ask for not normal things. If you're not sure whether or not a hotel provides these things, it probably doesn't. Hotels are pretty much an open book about what services they provide. Would you go into target and ask for an Egg McMuffin and when the sales clerk says "We don't have that," you wouldn't respond with "well what about expect more, pay less?"

No comments:

Post a Comment