Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tanning Bed Mom

Nearly a year ago I was working late as I usually do. My front desk agent, Vitooch, and I were doing our usual thing; laughing. Vitooch and I should not work together because we laugh entirely too much. Sometimes the laughter is so contagious that it never stops.

As Vitooch and I were talking and sitting in my office someone rings the bell at the front desk. Vitooch gets up to help the guest and as soon as she gets to the door she says "Oh" with a slight laugh.

I'm listening to her help this woman who is interested in reserving a room but she seems to be having a hard time getting her words out. I take this opportunity to get up and help. When I get up and walk over to my office door this is what I see:


This is a picture of Kristin Wiig on Saturday Night Live as the Tanning Bed Mom Patricia Krentcil. I didn't see Kristin Wiig or the REAL tanning bed mom but I saw something extremely similar. The woman standing at the front desk was so orange (a very dark orange) that I thought she wandered off from the Chocolate Factory.

As soon as I saw her face I walked right back into my office, covered my mouth and let the tears run down my face. I was laughing so hard but I didn't want her to know. I grabbed a cup off of my desk and walked back out to get some water. As I came around the front desk and behind this cartoon character speaking to Vitooch, I mouthed the words "OH MY GOD" to her and quickly scurried off.

I shouldn't have done that.

Vitooch busts out laughing mid sentence.

Oompa: What's so funny?
Vitooch: (wiping the tears from her eyes) I'm so sorry, my manager is crazy.
Oompa: Oh...okay.

As it turns out, Snooki couldn't afford to stay at the hotel and she went on her way. We both felt bad that we laughed directly in her face but we were too busy gripping our stomachs and grabbing tissue to truly care about her feelings.

I honestly don't think it's okay to get that hard of a laugh at some one's expense...but when you're a white, middle aged woman who goes out in public looking as if you need a Sunkist sticker on your forehead, you're kind of asking for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment